12651 Old Seward Hwy
Coastwise Corporation, a naval architecture/marine engineering firm, has an opening for a Marine Drafter/Designer to join our office in Anchorage, Alaska. Coastwise Corporation is a small privately-owned vessel design and engineering firm serving the Alaska maritime industry. Our team is small and high caliber, and we are looking for a talented candidate to join us in this role.
The Marine Drafter/Designer is responsible for preparing detailed working drawings and 3D models for assigned projects. Primarily these designs are for vessels, vessel systems, and marine engineering drawings. Duties for this role include drafting and design assistance, other engineering support work, and other office duties (typical of a small office) as assigned.
Anchorage residency is required. Salary is dependent on experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop engineering drawings, checking dimensions of units, connections to be used, relation of one component to another, and relation of various materials to the complete structure or project.
- Perform drawing updates in AutoCAD 2016 or later, to support engineering teams to create new, revise existing drawings or convert drawings.
- Create 3D surface models in Rhino with Orca3D plug-in.
- Create hull and tank computer models using GHS software.
- Track and manage incorporation of drawing technical and administrative comments from multiple sources.
- Perform surveys, ship checks, and analyze as-built drawings, redline mark ups and other correspondence to develop or revise drawings for various engineering disciplines.
- Track detailed comments and their resolution across multiple vessel classes to ensure all end products are consistent and in accordance with governing documents and specifications.
Candidates must possess the following professional experience and qualifications:
- Candidate may have entry level experience in marine design and technical drafting with proficiency in the use of AutoCAD.
- Candidate should be proficient with Rhino and be capable of surface modelling.
- Candidate must have strong ability to multi-task and juggle multiple project deadlines concurrently.
- Associates Degree or applicable training certifications.
- U.S. citizenship.
- Candidate must pass a background check and drug screening.
- Knowledge of marine industry and marine vocabulary is highly desired.
- Knowledge of engineering practices, mathematics and other physical sciences to complete drawings.
- Experience with Excel and Microsoft Office. Experience with other engineering software such as GHS, FastShip, NavCad, Orca3D and Maxsurf is highly desirable.
- Applicant must be able to take detailed verbal direction and deliver accurate drawings.
- Strong attention to quality, organization skills, computing, and presentation skills.
- Strong work ethic and dedication.
- Must work well in a team dynamic.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Occasionally the Marine Drafter/Designer must travel and conduct field work on a variety of vessels. This position requires ability to travel and work in Alaska under rigorous environmental conditions. The Marine Drafter/Designer must be physically able to lift 40 lbs., open watertight hatches, climb twenty foot ladders, climb through 18”x24” manholes and inspect all spaces inside and outside of a vessel.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.