The Commercial Property Manager position is responsible for the management of assigned commercial, residential, and retail properties within the Anchorage portfolio in accordance with Property Management Plan. This position is involved in all aspects of day-to-day operations of the property, including organizing and maintaining files and records, accounting, tenant relations, maintenance and repair, security, janitorial services, landscaping, snow removal, contract writing, auditing etc. The Property Manager handles tenant complaints and service requests, and must be familiar with the terms of tenant leases. The person occupying this position will be responsible for assisting the Senior Property Manager in the preparation of the annual budget, reporting and financial performance of the property; as well as, maintaining a marketing edge within the community.
Skills, Knowledge and Personal Characteristics
The following attributes are desirable for job success: exceptional communication and organizational skills; detail oriented and accurate especially with numbers; customer service experience; ability to work under pressure; self-motivated and self-directed; ability to assert oneself; exemplary time management skills; ability to work with staff in solving problems and ability to take direction and function as part of a team.
- Provide excellent tenant service while developing and maintaining owner/tenant relationships. Respond to tenant requests/problems in a timely and courteous manner, and generate work orders directed to vendors or maintenance staff. Follow-up with the tenant to ensure satisfactory resolution of the issue. Ensure that there is 24-hour emergency coverage for the property at all times.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Property Manager, manages leases; requiring a familiarity with complex lease documents, terms and conditions and the proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with customers and tenants.
- Conduct periodic inspections of the property and tenant spaces to ensure compliance with leases and the proper upkeep of the property.
- Ensure that property and lease files are properly maintained and kept up to date in accordance with company policy. Prepare and maintain appropriate tenant lease files, records, correspondence and file notes.
- Coordinate new tenant occupancy including providing the new tenant with an introduction letter regarding emergency contacts, insurance requirements, rent collection procedures, and maintenance request procedures.
- Assist with administering tenant occupancy including providing the new tenant with an introduction letter regarding emergency contacts, insurance requirements, rent collection procedures, and maintenance request procedures.
- Become proficient with the Yardi property management software. Coordinate entry of all property information into the software program and establish reporting protocols for maintenance requests, preventative maintenance, vendor and tenant Certificates of Insurance and key lease date tracking. Monitor all key dates and reporting within the Yardi system.
- Obtains estimates/bids for repairs at assigned properties. Generates and tracks repair projects to provide cost effective and long-term solutions. Reviews Common Area Maintenance (CAM) on a weekly basis and reports findings to the Senior Property Manager and the Chief Maintenance Engineer.
- Prepares and manages contracts to include; security, janitorial, snow removal, landscaping, etc. Ensures vendor compliance with all contracts.
- Coordinates and schedules appointments, on-site and off-site meetings, and conference calls, as needed.
- Collects and organizes all property information in a format for quick reference; stacking plans, rent rolls, etc.
- Assists the Senior Property Manager with establishment of the Property Management Plan, Preventative Maintenance Policies and Procedures and Property Operations Manual.
- Cultivates a positive work environment that promotes the growth of all assigned employees. Encourages employee participation and works with the Senior Property Manager to effectively deal with conflict resolution.
- Assist with audits at commercial, residential and low income properties.
- Provide written responses for findings during audits.
- Assist in the production of monthly and annual reports.
- Assist in preparation of transaction related documents.
- Maintain contact and other databases for company.
- Aid in the production of departmental reports (e.g. business plans, financial statements, RFPs).
- Coordinate regular inventories of all business property.
- Contractor coordination.
- Coordinate tenant move-ins.
- Ad hoc assignments.
- Detailed verification of all invoice amounts and information with approved Service Orders or Contracts.
- Ensure proper property coding on invoices.
- Investigate cost reduction opportunities.
- Read meters and calculate utility bill-backs to tenants.
- Assist corporate accounting with questions related to the property and resolution of vendor issues.
- Obtain estimates/bids for repairs at the property. Generate and track Service Orders, approvals and distribution.
- Sort, code and ensure accuracy and compliance with contracts of all property related invoices.
- Coordinate and schedule appointments, on-site & off-site meetings and conference calls.
- Collect and organize all property information in a format for quick reference.
- Assist Senior Property Manager in the preparation and execution annual operating budgets.
- Assist Senior Property Manager in the preparation of monthly financial reporting, operating variance reports and operating statements.
- Responsible for accounts payables and accounts receivables.
- Collect all rents due under lease agreements.
Scope of Responsibility and Authority
This position is charged with supporting the Senior Property Manager’s efforts in the day-to-day implementation of policies, procedures and programs that will assure a well-managed, well maintained building, placing maximum emphasis on positive responses to the concerns and needs of the tenants, environmental health and safety, and quality programs in coordination and conjunction with the Owner’s goals and objectives. The Property Manager must provide “in charge” responsibilities for the assigned properties. These responsibilities include being on-call 24 hours, managing and delegating maintenance staff and contractors.
- Full-time salary position
- Two to three years industry experience/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel.
- Familiarity with property management accounting software (i.e. Yardi, etc.) a plus.
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task.
- Excellent people skills.
- Strong working knowledge of general office equipment (copiers, fax machines, scanners).
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with peers, managers and clients.
- Dependable & flexible as well as possessing the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Proactive, initiate follow-through.
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License; possession of functional, insured vehicle.
- Ability to obtain Alaska Real Estate License
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed at various locations within the Alaska properties managed by JL Properties, Inc., primarily in an office setting.