About Us: Business Impact NW is one of the leading non-profit community development financial and business assistance organizations in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. The mission of BIN is to promote the economic development of marginalized communities by offering access to capital, training, and support to grow small businesses throughout the region. For more information about BIN’s history, mission and programs for women, minorities, and veteran business owners, please see our website: www.businessimpactnw.org.
The Alaska Veterans Business Outreach Center is a program of Business Impact NW and is part of a national network of 28 US Small Business Administration (SBA) Veterans Business Outreach Centers throughout the United States and its territories, which are designed to assist active duty service members, National Guard and Reserve Component members, members of the Coast Guard, transitioning service members, Veterans of all eras, as well as military spouses in starting and growing small businesses. VBOCs provide entrepreneurs and small business owners with comprehensive training and counseling/coaching on a variety of topics in several languages.
Position Summary: The Director of Alaska’s Veterans Business Outreach Center is responsible for the implementation, management, and general outreach of the program objectives. The Director works closely with community partners to establish and maintain trusted relationships. The Director is responsible for the quality delivery of programming that provides business development services and resources to nascent, emerging, and established entrepreneurs from the military community, including those that are economically and socially disadvantaged. The ideal candidate has extensive business, administrative, and financial experience and possesses strong leadership, organization, and communication skills. Reports To: Vice President Veteran, Military Spouse and Contracted Programs, Business Impact NW
- Organize and administer the operations of the VBOC while promoting the creation of new military connected person owned small businesses, aiding existing military connected person owned small businesses while adhering to the goals of the host organization Business Impact NW and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Office of Veterans Business Development (OVBD)
- Administer and direct integrated programs and services of the VBOC in the prescribed service area according to all applicable policies, procedures, Federal and State laws, regulations, and other governing documents
- Establish and maintain relationships with local financial institutions, relevant service providers, the local business community, and other stakeholders in the community
- Management of grant funding, including budgeting and financial analysis
- Work with accounting and supervisor to create a budget and monitor expenditures,
- Responsible to ensure the program meets deliverables, set metrics, and required reporting and reporting deadlines
- Support fundraising goals for Business Impact NW, as needed
- Outreach and engagement in the community to ensure knowledge of the needs of our clientele; Assesses those needs and recommends and implements a plan of action, as needed Supervises the confidentiality and maintenance of all client records
- Collaborate with various organizations that are involved in economic development in the defined service area
- Supervise Alaska VBOC personnel; conduct performance evaluations, training, work allocation, and problem resolution.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in small business either owning or being responsible for key strategic and management decisions for a small business, banking, economic development, or community development organization preferred (or equivalent formal educational experience)
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred (experience may substitute for education at the discretion of the hiring committee)
- Experience in working with diverse groups, specifically active duty service members, National Guard and Reserve Component members, members of the Coast Guard, transitioning service members, Veterans of all eras, as well as military spouses.
- Strong understanding and sensitivity to the needs and issues involving members of the military community
- Analytical skills and financial acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Self-starter, self-directed, and resourceful, able to work independently and as a team player.
- Able to handle a high level of responsibility
- Familiar with the responsibilities of public speaking and with representing an organization
- Bi-lingual preferred
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Passionate about supporting members of the military community, and economic development
LOCATION, SCHEDULE, REMOTE
- Must be a resident of Alaska State (position can be based in the Anchorage or Fairbanks area and will require up to 30% in-state travel)
- 40 hours per week, 8:30-5:00pm
- Remote or shared office options will be available
$65,000.00 - $70,000.00 Full Time Annual
Generous benefits include:
- 100% paid employee medical, dental and vision plans
- Paid holidays, including all federal holidays and the week between Christmas and New Years
- Paid vacation time off
- Paid sick days
- 401k account with 1% employer matching
- Professional development allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Adoption assistance
- Health Savings Account
- Voluntary supplemental medical benefits: Disability, Life, and Personal Accident insurance
- Flex time
- A great and diverse workplace culture
Priority Application Due Date: March 31, 2023
Preferred Start Date: May 15, 2023
Position open until filled. All candidates are subject to a background check.
Business Impact NW works hard to serve our clients while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and positive team-oriented atmosphere. Our strategic framework revolves around building trusted relationships, providing equal opportunity, valuing contributions, community impact, and financial stability. Our team consists of 45-50 employees, plus a corps of contractors, as well as an engaged Board of Directors.