The Fiscal Specialist in UAA General Support Services provides direct support to the department related to accounts payable, accounts receivable and other fiscal functions. This position reports to the Fiscal Manager and requires a highly dependable, detail-oriented and organized individual.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States. No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
This is a full-time, Grade 77, minimum $21.81 hourly, DOE, 12-month position complete with a competitive salary and UA employee benefits package.
This position is open until filled with the initial application review taking place on November 29, 2021. To ensure your application is considered, apply by 11:55 pm, Alaska Standard Time on November 28, 2021. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
A complete application will include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
All applications must be submitted online at https://careers.alaska.edu/en-us/listing/ (Job 518360)
UAA General Support Services includes the Copy & Print Center, Mailroom/Central Receiving, Surplus & Relocation, Recycling, and Parking Services units. The Fiscal Specialist reports to the Fiscal Manager and provides support in all areas related to the fiscal operations of the department, including day to day AR and AP functions, HR Coordinator duties, and research/analysis/report preparation.
Deposits, Cash Handling, Cost Center, and other duties:
• Verify and balance cashiers’ deposits and change funds. • Prepare bank deposits and secure cash drawers and deposits. • Prepare daily deposits. • Match and verify for accuracy receipts of deposits.
• Perform cashiering responsibilities when needed. • Assist in research related to recharge rates and preparation of annual recharge rate submission documents.
• Assist Campus Property Coordinator with campus-wide physical inventory and other tasks related to UAA fixed assets processing (to include knowledge of Property processes and required documents, Banner entry, research of POs, communication and training assistance to departmental Property Custodians).
• Serve as backup departmental Cost Center Clerk, assisting in preparation of job forms, appointment letters, and providing basic information or appropriate referral to GSS hires/staff.
Accounts Payable/Receivable, Account Reconciliation:
• Process AP and AR and perform reconciliation related to multiple departmental orgs/funds including general fund, recharge center, and auxiliary funding sources.
• Preparation and entry of journal vouchers for all areas of General Support Services. (Copy & Print, Mailroom, Surplus, Recycling, Parking Services).
• Closeout weekly and monthly work orders from print management software. Reconcile and process accounts receivables (jv and invoice).
• Includes use of EFI Printsmith, FedEx, UPS, Endicia, and Quadient, iParq and Passport specialized software/reports as well as internal databases.
• Preparation of invoices for external accounts. • Receive and track payments from vendors and invoiced customers.
• Submit PO requisitions, verify payment to vendors.
• Research complex billing and invoicing discrepancies or issues related to vendor statements, internal and external customers. Provide backup documentation to customers as requested.
• Assist in preparation of management reports as well as monthly/quarterly/year end reports. Includes assisting in compiling expenditure and revenue projections and other budget documents.
• Maintain departmental fiscal files, including maintenance of hard copy filing systems and scanning for archives. • Reconcile departmental purchasing card accounts, ensuring policies and procedures are followed, providing backup and other documentation as requested by the Procard Administrator.
• Perform research, analyze data, and prepare reports for Fiscal Manager, GSS Director, and administrators.
Advanced knowledge of automated accounting systems, and electronic spreadsheets. Strong demonstrated knowledge and skills in databases and related software. Knowledge of cash handling and control methods and reconciliation processes. Advanced knowledge of accounting system functions and procedures (e.g. accounts receivable, accounts payable). Ability to analyze and problem solve complex issues. Ability to interpret and apply complex fiscal and purchasing policies, rules & regulations.
Preferred experience/proficiency in Banner Finance.
Minimum two years experience in relevant fiscal functions in a business environment.
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
One year of college coursework in Accounting or related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience in relevant fiscal functions in a business environment. Associate's degree in relevant field preferred.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace. University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.